Common Causes of Headaches
Common causes of headaches in children include:
- Family history of headaches
- Certain foods, drinks, and additives
- Head injuries including concussions
- Emotional triggers such as stress and anxiety
- Illness and infections such as cold, flu, and strep throat
- Sleep patterns
Treatment for Headaches in Children
After diagnosing the cause of the headache, specific treatments plans for each child are executed.
Often, preventing serious headaches and migraines begins with improving diet, sleep, and hygiene, and avoiding triggers; however, these changes do not always eliminate the pain. Medications can also play an important role in reducing headaches and uncomfortable symptoms.
The Headache Clinic is part of the Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Hospital, one of the Centers of Excellence at Phoenix Children's Hospital. Barrow at Phoenix Children's has three pediatric headache specialists who collaborate on-site with a team of specialists to create treatment plans that address all of the child's physical and emotional needs.
Some related specialists include our pediatric:
- Sports medicine specialists (concussions)