Our Breathmobile is a self-contained mobile asthma clinic that travels to inner-city schools in Phoenix, providing asthma identification, teaching, treatment and follow-up to our community’s children. The Breathmobile gives children the care, support and resources they need to manage their asthma safely and properly.
The Breathmobile provides a comprehensive asthma management program for children and their parents. Children undergo a physical examination and pulmonary function testing (a breathing test that can tell how well the lungs are working). Children who are diagnosed with asthma:
- Develop an asthma action plan that is an individualized medication program in partnership with a physician.
- Receive education on asthma self-management to help them care for their asthma at home.
- Are given a follow-up appointment to evaluate how the plan is working.
- Are given a 24/7 phone number they can call with questions or concerns about asthma.
The Breathmobile has significantly improved cases of asthma in the children who have been followed. So far, we have found:
- A 40% decrease in missed school days due to asthma-related problems.
- A 70% decrease in emergency room visits due to asthma.
- A 73% decrease in hospital stays due to asthma.
- Significant improvement in asthma severity.
- Significant improvement in the quality of life for asthma patients and parents.
When the lungs in a child with asthma are exposed to triggers (things that irritate the lungs, such as smoke, dust, cats or exercise) the breathing tubes become inflamed or swollen. The lungs then make extra mucus, and the muscles around the breathing tubes tighten, causing coughing, wheezing, difficulty breathing and sometimes death.
A successful asthma treatment program includes proper identification and diagnosis of asthma (which includes a medical history, physical and pulmonary function test), an individualized medication program made in partnership with a healthcare provider, education on asthma self-management, and ongoing follow-up with a health care provider to monitor the asthma and make changes in the plan as necessary.
Thank you to our sponsors
Sponsors and supporters of the Breathmobile include Wal-Mart, Sam’s Club, Health Resources Services Administration, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck Pharmaceuticals, Aetna Foundation, Arizona Department of Health Services and AstraZeneca. The Breathmobile is also supported by public grants for asthma management and care.