Nancy C. Buckner, MD, is a board-certified psychiatrist who specializes in child and adolescent psychiatry.She joined Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's Hospital in May 2014. Dr. Buckner obtained her MD at the University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center at Memphis in 1991. She was awarded The Anthony Ficalora Award for her Outstanding Commitment to Patient Care in May 1991, as well as the American Medical Women’s Association Award for Academic Achievement. She was elected to join the honorary medical fraternity Alpha Omega Alpha, in 1991. Dr. Buckner graduated in the top 10 percent of her medical school class.
Dr. Buckner completed her internship, residency in general psychiatry and a two-year fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry in 1996 at the University of Arizona. She was chief resident of the child psychiatry fellowship program for six months. She has been a member of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry since 1994.
Dr. Buckner has worked in community mental health for 11 years. She provided psychiatric services for the School and Community Oriented Psychiatric and Educational Services (SCOPES) program at Clarendon School in the Osborn School District under a SAMSA grant for more than four years. Dr. Buckner also provided psychiatric services to students with emotional and behavioral disorders at Foothills Elementary as part of a multidisciplinary team.
Dr. Buckner has experience in teaching, supervising and mentoring medical students and psychiatric residents. She has provided in service training to teachers and other clinical staff in outpatient community settings. Dr. Buckner has experience treating children from 2 to 18 years of age. She provides comprehensive psychiatric evaluations, psychopharmacologic treatment, psychoeducation and supportive psychotherapy.
Dr. Buckner likes to work closely with the patients’ parents, physicians, therapists, schools and other agencies. She adheres to the biopsychosocial model of psychiatry and believes that getting the child back to a normal developmental trajectory is one of the most important goals for treatment success.
Dr. Buckner has experience treating the following types of psychiatric disorders in children and adolescents.
- ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders
- Mood Disorders such as Depression and Bipolar Disorder
- Anxiety Disorders including Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder, OCD, Social Anxiety Disorder, Panic Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Somatoform Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Tourette’s Disorder and other tic disorders
Dr. Buckner has experience treating children and adolescents with comorbid conditions such as:
- Developmental delay
- Medical conditions (diabetes, metabolic issues, cardiac problems, endocrine disorders, etc.)
- Neurological conditions (migraines, seizure disorder, traumatic brain injury, etc.)
- Assistant Professors in Psychiatry and Child Health at the University of Arizona, COM-Phoenix
- Assistant Professor in Psychiatry at Creighton University, School of Medicine - Phoenix Campus
Interests and Hobbies
Dr. Buckner enjoys reading, walking her dog, and listening to music in her free time. Read Dr. Buckner's complete personal bio.